Monday, January 5, 2009

Heart of the Visionary



I received a very thoughtful gift for Christmas from my daughter. She always seems to know just what I need even if I don't think I need anything any more, and I have collected so many books I have most of them packed in boxes right now, but that's another story for another time. I definitely did not need another book, but she found the book in a little store up in Mendocino, California while on one of her weekend jaunts. Its called "Heart of the Visionary" by Shiloh Sophia McCloud. The book is a collaborative effort of many women who call themselves the Cosmic Cowgirls. They have committed to helping to cultivate a dream to create a workbook and workshop designed to help women visionaries, who have an idea or dream, and a desire to make it happen--do just that. Shiloh is an Artist and a writer and has put together a great workbook for visionaries. Although I have not made much headway through the book, I am taking my time and following her instructions to skip around and digest it in small bits and make it work for me. I want to read and focus on the parts that apply or are most helpful right now. It is not a test to see how fast you can get through the book, and there will not be a "test" at the end, but its a workbook for anyone who wants to figure out just what it is that they want to do with their life, or figure out just what dreams or ideas you want to manifest. For me this is problem #1 - narrowing down the possibilities.

My daughter, I believe, knows well the challenges I have faced over the past few years and I have expressed to her, my belief that our life is a constant journey of change. Just when we think we have things figured out we are faced yet with another challenge to handle. At times it feels like we are just bobbing in a boat on the ocean of life, being pushed and pulled by the tides and blown by the winds of time. I have always tried to have a purpose driven life and yet I don't believe we can just invent things to do...having a "purpose" means we are paying attention to the signs. Paying attention to what we love and what gives back to the world, or leaves something of value behind. I think my daughter was thinking of me when she walked into the store and found this book, as I am convinced there are no accidents. I am very grateful to her for this gift. The book is helping me focus a little more on my life - right now - and whether there may be ways I could improve on it by discovering something within me that wants to be done, and maybe I'm not aware of, or I'm aware of it and ignoring it? Either way this is a good time of year to reflect on these things so the book could not have come at a better time. Timing is everything.

In the chapter on "Perspective, entitled "The Power of Originality" Shiloh uses the migratory journey of birds as a metaphor, to compare to her journey so that she could gain a unique perspective in writing about her own personal and business experiences. She encourages everyone contemplating writing their personal story to consider using a metaphor of something you particularly love and trust or that holds your interest as a way of gaining a better and more objective perspective on your thoughts. I'm still working on that, but I loved the chapter because I also love birds and was at one time a pretty avid birdwatcher. I love that she uses "Tips for Bird Watchers" to compare life lessons. For example:

1. Birds flying abilities take practice and evolve gradually. We need to take our life path steps gradually, making notes of goals we can reasonably achieve over time and taking time to observe and learn, and to stop when we are tired. This seems fairly common sensical, but how many days do we start out before dawn and don't end until midnight or later? How many rest periods do we get? If you're like me, very few.

2. Birds plan and pay careful attention to nourishing themselves both inside and out in order to achieve maximum power prior to their journeys. What must we do to nourish ourselves? This is not a luxury, but a necessity. Something I need to do more of for sure!

3. Birds live their life in a hurry with high energy which shortens their life span. We must find ways to choose our own speed limit and to determine where our energy is best focused. Gather our thoughts, ideas, set priorities for ourselves and enter it into our journals. How can we use our wisdom before we find we have to give ourselves a ticket for unhealthy, unproductive speeding? In other words: Don't spin your wheels and try to find a moment each day to reflect on what you have done, learned, or taught someone? Its ok to give ourselves credit for seemingly small accomplishments.

4. Birds sing. So should we, even if we can't carry a tune. This is an incredible way to manage stress, fight depression, increase breathing and become inspired. What songs shall we sing? Write them down and learn to sing them! Make up your own little tunes! Hum!

These are just a few of the examples she uses in her book. In closing, she includes a poems that I would love to share, as well.
I believe it says it all in answer to many of us who have dreams, projects or ideas that we would like to manifest, but maybe we don't know when, where, how or IF, to start...

Finding Wings
Shiloh Sophia McCloud


The act of "finding wings" is a life-long journey

We cannot wait for inspiration to strike

or circumstances to improve.

The time to "take wing" is always

and ever, right now.

Right now, and

Right now!

We each have to find
our own wing cadence.
The pattern within

that invisible force and flap.

We can practice knowing
our wings will lift us when we need them.
We can pretend that we feel it even when we don't.

Especially when we don't.

Imagine that the whole gorgeous Universe
has your back.
That you don't know to rely on your strength only.

That preening your feathers is vital and important work.

That expecting miracles is your spiritual practice.

In the privacy of your own bird bath

lift your wings - flap flap flap
hear the sound...?
Now, look ahead...

What is it you are flying toward?

Do you see your dream up ahead?

What comes first?

The dream, or the wing?


Happy dreaming friends...

No comments: